Saturday, December 17, 2005

John Kelly on Horslips and Other Voices

The truth is: I went to Ireland to attend a taping of a television program called Other Voices. Filmed in a small church in Dingle, this show is a music lover's delight:

The fourth series of RTÉ Two's 'Other Voices' once again brings together musicians from various backgrounds, traditions and disciplines to celebrate different sounds and styles of music and voices. 32 Irish and international acts will descend on this small but world-famous Kerry town to take part in the most celebrated rock music event of the year.

Folk legends, illustrious rockers and young pretenders will gather for the weeklong session, a diversity of musical expressions and energy, barely contained within the walls of a 200-year-old church.

I first learned about this show when an email suggestion pointed me toward Sonny Condell's archived set, which is wonderful.

Then when I learned that Horslips was going to be featured in the fourth season just days after my business trip finished, I wrote to the producer of the show, explained myself, and was immediately on the list for tickets.

John Kelly, of Mystery Train on RTE radio was the M.C. Here's how he describes the week as it unfolded in Dingle:

“…Stars are new friends – a great bunch from Canada snapping at the heels of Arcade Fire. Stephen Fretwell is definitely the real thing and everyone is still talking about him. His pals Elbow were magnificent – and a pleasure to have around the place for a few days. Martha Wainwright is another one you’d like to go drinking with every weekend. No fuss. No throwing shapes. Just great music. And of course she didn’t lick it off a stone.

But there’s no point in me pretending otherwise – the real highlight for me was Horslips. I walked in during their soundcheck and heard them play ‘Dearg Doom’ for the first time in…”

But why not read more of John Kelly over at the link?

No comments: