Saturday, December 10, 2005

Cathal Magee & Horslips

Teenage Kicks: Cathal Magee

Forget Desert Island Disc... we ask local music heads to tell us about the one song that really blew their fuse way back when
09 December 2005


I grew up listening to music constantly. I was the youngest in my family and had to listen to my elder brothers and sisters practising their instruments religiously. If they weren't playing, they were listening. I preferred my brothers' collection of Thin Lizzy and Horslips records over my sisters' collection of Abba and the Bay City Rollers. On top of this, my mum used to sing all the old Irish ballads at the piano.

Like most teenagers, I wanted my own music and started borrowing cassettes out of Irvinestown library. It was here that I discovered Bowie's Hunky Dory album when I was 13. It completely blew me out of the water. It had everything, from lush piano and string arrangements to edgy rock guitar riffs and folky meanderings.


More at link.

No comments: